Risk Control Specialist – Law Enforcement
Date Posted: June 26, 2021
Salary Range: $62,000 – $87,000 per year
Contact: Heather Rowbury
Job Application: Please email email@example.com
Open until filled
About the Position
Trindel Insurance Fund is seeking an experienced Risk Control Specialist with a working knowledge of law enforcement and corrections, plus general knowledge of local governments to join our Risk Control team. This position will provide a high level of customer service primarily aimed at our member law enforcement agencies. The Risk Control Specialist will act as a resource to staff and member entities providing technical information related to occupational safety, worker’s compensation, tort liability cost containment, and risk management. This includes the following:
- Perform research and analysis and recommends occupational safety and risk control policies, practices and procedures for member counties.
- Collaborate and consult with member county law enforcement management and employees to develop safe work practices and policies for member counties.
- In coordination with Executive Director and/or Director of Risk Control, develop, write and present risk control training curriculum with a focus on law enforcement agencies.
- Plan, promote, and implement effective safety and risk control programs focused on law enforcement.
- Assist member counties with risk control inspections of facilities and worksites for physical, environmental and work practice hazards, including jail inspections.
- Provide written recommendations for corrective actions of identified hazards within member counties, in collaboration with our law enforcement subject matter experts.
- Assist member counties investigation of incidents involving worker or public injury and/or property damage to determine causal factors.
The ideal candidate will hold a Bachelor’s Degree, or have ten years of increasing responsibility, either as a sworn or non-sworn Public Safety Officer. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job, including by not limited to those listed below:
- High to advanced skills in common computer word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in use of various instructional techniques, with a high level of writing, interpersonal and organization communication and presentation skills
- Excellent public speaking skills
- General knowledge and understanding of local government structure and process, with a concentration in law enforcement.
- Working knowledge of California and Federal occupational health and safety regulations, Peace Officer Standards and Training, and BSCC Standard and Training for Corrections.
- Thorough knowledge of effective investigation techniques and methodologies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and good public relations with other employees, agencies, members and the public
Advanced educational training in the fields of law enforcement, risk control, occupational health and safety, business administration, or public administration is highly desirable. POST Training, STC training and other designations such as ARM, CSP, ASP, are also high desirable.
A generous benefit package is provided including Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); a Section 1254 Cafeteria Plan with an allowance from which coverage may be chosen from health, dental, and vision insurance. Life insurance is paid for by the Fund and a deferred compensation plan is offered. Paid vacation, sick time and floating holidays are also offered.
Physical requirements of this positon typically include: sitting for long periods of time, including in a vehicle during travel to member counties. Reaching, grasping, kneeling, talking, hearing, seeing, repetitive motions, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently.
Possession of a valid State of California Driver’s License issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles, or the ability to obtain one within the first month of employment. Proof of auto insurance with no exclusion for business use is required.